Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Monday, July 24, 2006

A small group of friends...

I am so excited. Yesterday afternoon I went to the house of friends from church. Actually, they have recently stopped attending our UU church after 16 years. After I heard her story about why she left, I don't blame her. It does help me to understand the train wreck that has become our church lately and I feel more depressed than ever about the chances that this thing will get better before it gets worse. :-( Maybe I'll devote another post to this topic one of these days.

In the meantime, I am happy that she decided to start up a discussion group. When she called me about it, she described it as a discussion about Early Christianity (pre-Gospels). Besides the host, her husband, and myself, there was another couple from church as well as another woman and a third couple, all three of which attend the two local UU churches sporadically, but don't (I think) consider themselves UU's (yet).

It wasn't a real focused discussion. I had brought along The Secret Message of Jesus by McLaren which I recently finished as well as The Gospel of Jesus by James Robinson which I am currently reading. That started a discussion of books we've read and the messages of each. It was interesting to see the variety of ideas of what *exactly* was Jesus' message. In the end we came up with a long reading list for those of us who get into that sort of thing (which, of course, as UU's we do).

We also had a discussion about the problems of UUism as a denomination. One woman just recently returned from a retreat at Star Island where she said there was lots of discussion about how to hold this thing (i.e. UUism) together. So we spoke in general terms and then we also talked about specific problems within our church. And a couple of us brought up the differences that we've perceived between East Coast UU churches vs. UU churches here in the midwest (that being that here in the midwest, UU churches serve as havens to those burned by conservative Christianity so to proclaim any interest in Christianity is a bad thing whereas on the East Coast - generally a more liberal environment overall - you don't have that "haven" influence).

Lots of good discussion and food (of course). We were trying to think of a name for ourselves. Someone suggested Heretics for Jesus ;-) but the woman who was hosting vetoed the word Heretic. So we're still thinking. It looks like we'll be meeting every once in a while. Yippee!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger PeaceBang said…

    Oh my dear, we certainly get our share of refugees from conservative Christianity out here on the East Coast. What we have working in our favor, however, is hundreds of years of worship tradition that helps stabilize congregations and give people the sense that, wounded as they are, they are coming into a tradition that is a TRADITION, not a blank slate for them to write all over with their own personal vision based on rejections and hurts. Which isn't to say that we don't have an empowered laity out here. We do, and we love it. But we also have tradition.

    I do hope that you'll let your respective ministers know of your study group. It may be very helpful and interesting for them to know that there are folks interested in studying the early Christian church, and give them ideas for Adult RE offerings.

    I'm thrilled to hear about your gathering. Please know that the UU Christian Fellowship is a group of people who applaud your initiative to explore the gospels together as UUs. Let me know if you'd like to receive any materials from the UUCF and I'll put you in touch with Ron Robinson, the Executive Director.

    Blessings!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home