Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Monday, July 03, 2006

This trinitarian thingy

I have been reading Christian Meditation by James Finley. It is a wonderful book, BTW. It is a discussion of contemplative prayer based on what Finley learned as a student of Thomas Merton. So far the book has referenced the book The Cloud of Unknowing as well as St. John of the Cross. Between these two and St. Teresa of Avila and others, my reading list is growing longer and longer.

Anyway, today after reading about the oneness with God brought about through meditation, he went on to explain the concept of the Trinity in light of this different perspective. I struggled to get my mind around it this morning as I was reading it. Now, several hours later I couldn't begin to make sense of it. I'm going to have to go back and reread it. The only thing I can remember about it is that, explained in this way, I was kinda able to understand the idea of the Trinity for the very first time. But talk about making your brain hurt. Whew!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger PeaceBang said…

    I was the only Unitarian in a class on the Trinitarian Controversies at Weston Jesuit School of Theology in 1996. I just wanted to understand the origins of the idea and of the controversy that left us heretics.

    I wound up considering the Trinity a beautiful poetic expression of a relational God. I highly recommend the feminist theological treatise on the Trinity, "She Who Is" by Elizabeth Johnson. But only after your brain stops hurting!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Mama G said…

    Ooh, thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to wrap my mind around such a thing and I am interested in feminist interpretations too. Yippee!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home