Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Christianity in UUism

I am so excited because I just discovered a blog that rings so true to me. PeaceBang is a UU Christian and some of her recent posts (particularly about the use (or lack thereof) of God language among UU's) felt to me as if I could have written them myself. It is so rare that I find someone who says so accurately what I feel. I often feel caught between a rock and a hard place. I am "too Christian" for the UU's and "too liberal" for the Christians. I don't feel like I belong anywhere and it leaves me feeling a lot of spiritual pain a lot of the time. I've been in another one of my funks for most of the spring/summer so far.

My UU church often feels like I'm attending a lecture or seminar rather than a religious service. And then I recently attended a United Methodist church and I felt equally out of place there. I can't buy into much of the dogma that the church has created to define Christianity. Sigh. So I'm stuck.

I'm hopeful and maybe even a little excited that there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I spoke to my DRE about how I've been feeling. I think she's had similar feelings. She is one of the few UU Christians (besides myself) in our congregation. She has collected a group of about 5 of us who need more of a spiritual outlet than our (largely Humanist) congregation has been providing lately. So we are forming a group that is supposed to start meeting in September. I cannot wait!

In the meantime, I am excited to have discovered PeaceBang's blog and recommend it to those who are curious about these religious views.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger fausto said…

    I am "too Christian" for the UU's and "too liberal" for the Christians. I don't feel like I belong anywhere and it leaves me feeling a lot of spiritual pain a lot of the time.

    Greetings, kindred spirit. You're not alone!

    If you were able to move to the Boston area, you'd find a UU church in almost every town, and among them all a wide range of choice in how the balance is struck between liberal Xtianity and other religious influences. You could even join PeaceBang's church. (She's not just a blogger but also a minister, you know.)

    If you have to stay where you are, you can at least take some vicarious comfort in knowing that people like PeaceBang and places like her church do exist.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Mama G said…

    Thank you. It does feel good to know I'm not the only one who feels the way I do. I have heard rumors (ha ha) of UU churches that don't stiffen at the use of the G word. Our church has even toyed around with it, but then some long-term members get all upset and the rest of us have to go back into the closet.

    In the meantime, I will just have to be content with reading blog posts of other people who "get" me.

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger PeaceBang said…

    Hey Mama G! What a lovely post, and thank you. I'm glad we've found each other.
    So many UUs have a "faith" that is comprised almost entirely of rejections and negations, they can feel threatened by someone who does affirm a faith, and particularly a faith based on a belief in God and a desire to follow Jesus. A lot of UUs will get all freaky on you for that, assuming that maybe there's something wrong with your INTELLECT (God forbid any of us have less than a stellar intellect and brilliant eloquence and debating skills to go with it!)if you choose that path. I'm SO GLAD to hear that the DRE of your church isn't one of those "UUism is a religion for the non-religious!" types.

    I hope you're aware of the UU Christian Fellowship, which is hosting another REVIVAL conference at the beginning of November in NYC. Speakers include the wonderful Gary Dorrien, and we always have a fantastic time together. Google the Fellowship and you'll find the website.

    Keep on blogging, Mama. And thanks again for your kind words and fellowship. Peace.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Mama G said…

    PB, yes, I know about the UUCF. Actually, I've been on the online email list for a couple of years now. Rev Ron posted your blog URL which is how I found you. I haven't been able to go to GA or a Revival (yet) because of a lack of funds (and figuring out what to do with the kiddos during my time away). But I have dreams of going one of these days. I love reading everyone's reports after the fact.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home