Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Secret Message of Jesus

I mentioned the other day that I picked up this book of Brian McLaren's at the library. I've had a hunch I'd absolutely love McLaren, but this is the first chance I've gotten to read any of his books. (Our conservative public library doesn't own any of his books until this one.)

This book is wonderful. It touches on so many wonderful ideas. I'm going to have to go back through it once I finish and revisit several things.

For those of you who haven't read the book, McLaren basically says that the real message of Jesus is hidden and has often gotten overlooked. He says Jesus' main point didn't have to do with what happened to us after we die, but instead is that we have the power to bring about the Kingdom of God in the here and now. The Kingdom of God is at hand. His book helped me to explain the message behind the miracle stories that, up to now, I had trouble fitting into my understanding of Christ. The miracles show that the seemingly impossible is possible if we only believe. Most people who don't believe something can happen, live in that unbelief and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. But by not letting unbelief stop you, you can bring about change. It's very exciting and overwhelming to think about.

Tonight I was reading chapter 17 (which speaks about the history of violence in Christianity) and it includes a quote by Martin Luther King Jr. which I love:

Through violence you may murder a murderer, but you can't murder murder.
Through violence you may murder a liar, but you can't establish truth.
Through violence you may murder a hater, but you can't murder hate.
Darkness cannot put out darkness. Only light can do that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home