Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Struck gold at the library

Yippee skippy! I have to say I've nearly given up hope for my little public library's religion section. I've read just about everything they have that I'm interested in. I've browsed on Amazon.com and found tons of books I'd love to read, but here in conservativeville they don't often get ordered for the public library. I was thrilled that they have both of the Gulley and Mulholland books, a couple of Anne Lamott's books, God's Politics by Wallis, and one of Bishop Spong's books. But that's about it. I've been pining away for some Brian McLaren books, but that seemed like a pipe dream until I could scrounge up the money for half.com.

Last weekend Big J and I went into a Barnes & Noble. It had been AGES since I'd been in a real bookstore. (I don't get out much.) Anyway, I went straight to the religion section and found probably at least 10 books I'd like to get. I was practically salivating over McLaren's Why I am a ..... Christian but couldn't justify spending the money on it (yet).

Today I went to our public library and lo and behold they surprised me. In their new books section I found McLaren's new book The Secret Message of Jesus. On a whim I headed to the 232 section and stumbled upon The Gospel of Jesus by James M. Robinson. (By this point I was nearly giddy.) Then my eyes scanned down the shelf and found Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman. I'd wanted to check that one out ever since I'd seen Ehrman on the Daily Show.

I feel like I hit paydirt at the library today. I do think I'm going to make a purchase request (or several) at their website and request some more books I've been interested in.

So many books, so little time...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home