Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lent - Breaking the Bonds

I meant to make an Ash Wednesday post yesterday, but my schedule being what it is, I wasn't able to get online long enough. Since I accepted Christianity, I've loved the seasons of Lent and Advent because of the opportunity for spiritual focus. I'm not a Catholic and don't do things "by the book", but like all matters Christian, I'm finding there is much to be gained by taking a closer look at traditions.

In my pre-Christian days, with chip firmly placed on shoulder, I adamantly opposed the idea that I should be forced to give something up. I rolled my eyes at the idea that God would like me better if I gave up chocolate for six weeks. But now that I'm looking at things differently, I realize that rather than a burden, Lent is an opportunity. Twice a year (Advent being the second such time) I can focus with more intention on my spirituality and grow closer to God.

I just read a Lenten sermon from 2006 written by UU Minister, Rev. Amy B. Freedman, about voluntarily giving something up for Lent. You can read it yourself at Lent: Voluntary Surrender. I had already decided to give up coffee for Lent this year, and this sermon just confirms what I already felt. For a while now, coffee has had an unhealthy hold on my life. I have been held captive by the need for coffee. In recent months I had gotten to the point where I'd have 4-6 cups per day. Some might think that my desire to kick the coffee habit is health related. I admit that I know that much caffeine is not good for me. But the real reason I want to break the coffee bond is the psychological hold it has on me. I don't want to *need* any substance that much anymore. I want to develop more discipline and control over my life. I think of this as a spiritual battle. I am also being more intentional about daily prayer.

On Fat Tuesday I made myself a nice big mug of steaming coffee with cream and savored every sip. When I woke up Wednesday morning, I made myself a cup of tea. I'm not a fan of tea. It's only okay in my book. It is to help me get over the initial hurdle and then I won't drink it. Tea will not be hard to give up.

So far (after almost 2 days) I have not missed my coffee much. The only times I have thought about having coffee, it was an emotional thing and not a physical one. I miss the comfort of a cup of coffee after coming in from the cold or early in the morning while still in my jammies. This emotional reaction just confirms my belief that coffee had too much control in my life.

My son laughed and said he didn't believe I'd make it all the way to Easter without coffee. I will. Just you wait and see.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Comrade Kevin said…

    I'm giving up cynicism for Lent. I seem to love it so.

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger mathmom said…

    In my pre-Christian days, with chip firmly placed on shoulder, I adamantly opposed the idea that I should be forced to give something up. I rolled my eyes at the idea that God would like me better if I gave up chocolate for six weeks. But now that I'm looking at things differently, I realize that rather than a burden, Lent is an opportunity. Twice a year (Advent being the second such time) I can focus with more intention on my spirituality and grow closer to God.

    This reminds me of a Jewish teaching that Rabbi Harold Kushner (he's written several books, which is why I put his name here, as you may have heard of him, but it was a sermon I heard in person when I belonged to his congregation a while back) gave on Yom Kippur. I, like many Jews, often wondered what the point of fasting on Yom Kippur was. We are supposed to be concentrating that day on our prayer, on our sins, on becoming better people, not being distracted by our growling stomachs. But Rabbi Kushner suggested (and I'm sure I'm not doing him justice, but this is the main idea...) that the reason we fast is not as punishment, or in repentance for our sins, or to prove anything to God, but rather to prove to ourselves that we can take control over our impulses, even one so basic and instinctive as eating. And, having proven this to ourselves, this then empowers us to have the confidence that we can control other negative impulses we might have during the year.

    I think taking control over something that might otherwise have had some measure of control over you is very empowering, and I think this is a lesson that we share, through different vehicles.

    I'm glad to read that it is going well for you so far.

    (Is there an appropriate greeting/wish I could share at this point, like "Good Lent"?)

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yay to Lent!
    I've been doing it for a couple of years now, and when people find out they look at me confusedly and say something like "Umm...aren't you Buddhist?"
    I find it an amazing time of year, especially when I accompany it with some disciplined daily reading that helps me along a little.
    I'm considering starting up a "Lent Observance" group at my UU Church next year - to see if we can't all get much more out of it.
    Great post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home