Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Eyes on Iowa

To tell the truth, I've only been paying marginal attention to the build-up for the 2008 presidential election. Early on there are so many candidates, many of whom I won't even ever get the chance to vote for, so I wait for things to congeal a bit. I'm in Indiana so our primary is one of the last ones. Usually by the time it is Indiana's turn to vote, the party's candidates have been all but officially selected. But I go through the motions anyway out of a sense of civic duty.

This morning I checked out the Indianapolis newspaper to see what is being said about the candidates. I'm not sure which candidate I prefer. It is so hard to read their generic blurbs and make any decision. As much as I try to be open-minded and consider all the candidates, I almost immediately eliminate the Republican candidates. Anyone who braggingly calls himself a conservative sends up a red flag to me. Also, anyone who touts "the sanctity of human life" (while often opposing funding social programs...ironically) is also scratched off the list. "The sanctity of human life" sounds good, but we all know that is double-speak for legislation against reproductive rights. So no.

Anyway, it seems to be boiling down to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John Edwards. I honestly don't know which one I prefer. I'd love to see a woman president (purely for my own female motives) but I don't always agree with her opinions, particularly her early support of the war in Iraq. I like John Edwards a lot. I don't really know much about Barack Obama, but lots of people seem to really like him. He talks about wanting to unite the country and that is a good philosophy (although I don't know how realistic that idea is).

I guess I need to do some homework and read up on these people. Living in Indiana, I don't really know that it even matters which Democrat I vote for since the Republican candidate will likely take this red state, but I give it the old college try anyway. I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't do something to try to change the mess this country has gotten into.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Comrade Kevin said…

    Here in Alabama, our Primary used to be in June, so by the time we voted it was usually a fait accompli who the nominees for both parties were going to be.

    Last year, moved it up to Super Tuesday, 5 February, in the hopes that our state would be a deciding factor. Like Indiana, however, Alabama is solidly red and not likely to go for the Democrats any time soon.

    I have an Obama sticker on the back of my car and he's my candidate for a lot of reasons. We'll see. I am not going to wager a prediction for who will win for either side. It's way too close to call.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home