Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Approaching Advent

Advent is a religious season that is not even practiced by all Christians let alone your average UU. However, as my faith has evolved, I have found the liturgy of intentional practice during both Advent and Lent to be very fulfilling. This will be the third year that I've practiced Advent in my home and each year I "tweak" the process. Our Advent observation is very UU in orientation. I have gathered various reflections and readings from sources on the internet and have compiled them into something that works for our family.

December 2, 2007 is the first Sunday of Advent this year. In preparation for Advent, I make an advent wreath to place as a centerpiece in our family's dining table. I use a regular wreath I've bought at a Christmas supply shop (fake so I can reuse it each year although a real one would work as well). Inside the wreath I place four taper candle holders (one for each Sunday of Advent). In the center of the wreath I place a white pillar candle to be lit only on Dec. 24. On each Sunday of Advent, after dinner I will have some sort of dessert during which we will have our Advent focus. On the first Sunday, we will light one candle, recite some lines together, and then I will share the focus of the day. Then we will have a reflection for that day.

I really feel that since we have begun observing Advent as a family, the holiday season has become less about consumerism and "give me, give me" and more about the thoughtful and joyful celebration that we get through our faith and a reminder to reach out and be God's hands in the world.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home