Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

My new altar


This is the altar I created yesterday. It's in the corner of my bedroom. It isn't exactly how I pictured it. I'd still like to add either a cross (the one with four equal-length sides) or praying hands would be good (thanks for the idea, Matt!). But one of my "issues" is the need for perfection, so I will say what I have is good enough for now. If I add to it, okay; if not, okay.

Anyway, I tried it out last night. I turned all the lights off except for one nearby table lamp. I lit the candle and the incense. I read from the Bible (I try to read daily using an online UCC webpage that has the Daily Lectionary). Then I closed my eyes for meditation. I tried playing some spiritual jazz music in the background, but found it distracting and turned it off. I did manage to meditate/pray for about 25 minutes. I only had one interruption when D came in to find out what that smell was. ;-)

I'm pretty excited about it, even though Little J says we're becoming more and more like hippies.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Oooh, very nice.

    I was going to write about altars too, after reading the daily om, but found I had created an altar in my office to the bills. :)

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    It's great to set something up like that as part of your regular routine.

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger kinsi said…

    I think I have the same shoe thing as the base for my alter! How cool is that. I mod podged these geologic maps and charts all over it (from an old undergrad research project back in my uber-geek days). I don't use it too often...but I'll have to clean it off and get it back in service.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home