Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Creating an altar

Have any of my readers ever created an altar for prayer/meditation? If so, please comment and tell me how you went about it, what you used, what you use it for.

I am trying to build an altar in my bedroom. I want it in place before Wednesday (Ash Wednesday, don't you know) and because of being snowbound and having no funds, I am looking around my house for items I can use. I think that for now I am going to take a low shelf out of my sons' closet and use it. It previously served as home for their shoes, but it isn't really working as such these days, and I think it will be much more useful in my new prayer space.

I have invited Big J to share the space with me. I plan to bring symbolic items to represent Christianity and theism while concepts such as Humanism and perhaps Buddhism are more important to him. I will include a candle and maybe incense. We have a small buddha statue and a yin-yang button that I find very meaningful. I would like to get a table-top cross at some point. I will tuck a couple of pillows under the table and pull them out to sit on during prayer. If I can make a habit of this, I hope to someday reward myself with a real meditation stool similar to this one.

On Ash Wednesday, Lent begins and so does my plan for daily Centering Prayer. I will let you know how it goes.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have condsidered setting up a small room for meditation / prayer in my home.

    But at present I am happy to depend on the local Sangha where the presence of others helps. With around twenty other still, meditative people sat with you there is more chance of staying concentrated and inspired.

    In the Sangha they have one candle, a bouquet of flowers, a statue of budda and an incense burner. In the Taize group they have a picture of Jesus and then one large candle surrounded by 12 others.

    If I was to set up a room for meditation, I would likely not include statues of any figures. Just a universal 'praying hands' statue with one candle - a bit like this: http://beaconforlife.blogs.com/pastoral_coach/praying%20hands%20by%20candlelight.jpg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home