Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Back to school

It's that time of year again. School starts for me and the kids next week. Yesterday I took the kids shopping for school supplies. (I do have to say that Target was MUCH better than Walmart in the school supply department - both selection and price -, for those of you getting ready to do your own shopping.)

I have to say that as opening day approaches I feel more and more of a sense of helpless resignation and depression. All summer long I've been hoping I'd get called for a permanent (or at least long-term) teaching assignment. But at this point we have less than a week to go and my phone hasn't rung.

My sister, the music teacher, did call and ask me if I was free to sub for her on Aug. 25, so I got my first sub call of the year. Sigh. Whoop-tee-doo...

I have enjoyed substitute teaching. It has provided me an opportunity to get to know lots and lots of people. It has also helped me to feel at home in the classroom again. But frankly, after two years of this, I am getting frustrated. While I appreciate all the accolades I get from school personnel about how I'm such a "wonderful" sub and they call me usually 5 days a week to work...no one will hire me for a professional position! If I'm as great as they say I am, what is the problem?? I don't get it. But I am professionally bored with being a glorified babysitter when I am trained to do so much more. Also, with Little J only a few years from college, we seriously need for me to make a real salary and not just the peanuts they throw at me for subbing (most of which go to the babysitter anyway).

It is so frustrating and I have such a hard time trying to stay positive. I've been told that the end of this coming school year will see many teacher retirements so my chances are good that I'll get hired by then. Blah. So I guess I will begin my third year of subbing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home