Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Leaving a church?

I haven't made a final move yet, but I am very close to quitting our UU church. We have decided not to renew our pledge of membership this year. We will change our status to "friends". Big J wants to feel free to go back occasionally if they should have any good sermon topics come along. I kind of feel a sadness when I think of leaving. But frankly, I hardly recognize the place anymore.

I won't get into the issues publicly, but there is a disagreement at our church that stands to tear the very fiber of the congregation into two. There is a very vocal bunch who just won't let this issue die. Their need to be "right" and "win" is so great that they are willing to watch the congregation implode as a result. As far as the disagreement goes, I don't really have an opinion one way or other about that. I do, however, have an opinion about a congregation which appears, these days, to be ruled by a group of people who are hell-bent (and I use that phrase purposely) on getting their way no matter what damage is done.

I think about the covenant that we say each week. I'm sure it is like most UU churches' covenants:
"Love is the Spirit of this church
Service is its law
To dwell together in peace
To seek the truth in love
And to help one another
This is our covenant."

Some of these people seem only to recognize the "Service is its law" piece of the covenant. They definitely don't consider Love to be the Spirit of the church, nor do they believe we should dwell together in peace, seek the truth in *love*, or help one another. They've become hateful and mean-spirited and are letting that control what is happening. These are not my values. The spiritual values that I think are most important to me are compassion and forgiveness and these people seem to be lacking in both. It is not a pleasant environment there anymore.

It makes me sad, but I see no solution on the horizon.

Today we visited the Quakers again for meeting. The compassion and joy I saw there is what I'm looking for.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Lizard Eater said…

    You might be interested in the fiction of Quaker writer Daisy Newman (especially Indian Summer of the Heart.)

    No matter where you go, blessings on your journey!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Joel Monka said…

    You know, there are other congregations around Indianapolis- I am a member of All Souls, and UUI is another good one.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Carlton E Smith said…

    Hi, Mama G --

    Your blog popped up as I was searching for Barbara Brown Taylor's name for my own blog, http://6monthbreak.blogspot.com. She's an ordained Episcopal minister who chose to give up parish ministry for life as an academic. Not quite the same as your circumstances as you describe it, but you might find it useful for reflection ... and she's an excellent writer.
    Indeed, the best to you in your search. I'm an ordained UU minister myself, and I know that choosing to join or leave a congregation is not an inconsequential matter.

    C. E. Smith

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Comrade Kevin said…

    One of the reasons I like the Quaker meeting I attend is that it is very small. I know every person on a face-to-face and one on on basis and that really gives me a renewed hope that keeping things manageable is the solution to problems like these.

    I find the more people you add to a church/religious gathering, particularly any one with liberal sensibilities, these things happen far too often.

    I am very pleased you have found the same sense of peace with Friends as I have. My meeting is unprogrammed, so there are no sermons, no music, and nothing the least bit planned out and though I do at times miss all of these things, I am adjusting well to the kind of spiritual anarchy of unprogrammed Quaker worship. :-)

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger quakerboy said…

    I'm a refugee from UUism as well. My partner and I are very active in our local Quaker Meeting. We can't tell you how much we love it. What is especially wonderful is the monthly meeting for worship with attention to business.

    I'm sure not every Quaker Meeting is the same, but the folks in our Meeting are very gentle with one another even in disagreement. I suppose the difference is that we seek coorporate discernment on Divine Will instead of being intent on getting our own way. We always go to Business Mtg with the idea, "I could be wrong."

    It's mighty humbling when you find that you ARE wrong on an issue. Yet, it is comforting to know that there is a Higher Will than my own to which the Gathered Community must be ever attentive.

    May your journey be full of grace and joy,
    Craig

     

Post a Comment

<< Home