Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Monday, February 18, 2008

My spiritual journey meanders in a new direction

My UU church is no longer feeding me. In fact, the environment there feels toxic these days. I have no desire to go there. (That is a depressing topic for another blog entry on another day.) But I feel the groundwork has been laid for the next branch in my seeking.

For several years I have been a fan of the books by Philip Gulley. He has co-written two books about universalism with James Mulholland. Gulley has also published a series of fictional books set in the small fictional Quaker town of Harmony.

Anyway, I was especially moved by Gulley and Mulholland's universalism books, If Grace is True, and If God is Love. They so resonated with me and helped me define my own growing Christianity. This is who I am as a Christian.

So it was only natural that eventually I would track down Philip Gulley's Quaker meeting house, Fairfield Friends Meeting, where he is pastor. It is ironic that it is only 10 minutes from my house and yet it took me 41 years to find it. I feel like his books and even my foray into Unitarian Universalism may all have been like bread crumbs left by God to guide me one step at a time in this direction.

We went to the Quaker meeting Sunday before last and I was surprised by how comfortable and at home I felt. This is a progressive Quaker meeting which includes things that make me comfortable - social justice efforts around the world, a non-literal interpretation of the Bible, and most importantly, the belief that Christianity is about love and compassion for all human beings.

I couldn't go back this week because of previous commitments I'd made at the UU church, but we will definitely be going back.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Lilylou said…

    I think the Quakers are a wonderful group for UU Christians not being served by their local congregation. I am pretty sure now that if I'd found Quakerism first, I would be a Quaker instead of a UU. Their message is so deeply satisfying to me. But then I probably wouldn't be a minister now, if that had happened.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger LaReinaCobre said…

    Is the Quaker church near your house set up more simply than the UU church you go to?

    Sometimes I wonder if what isn't tiring about UU churches (esp. once you've been going for a while, or get really involved in it), is that once one gets too close to the structure, it feels less spiritual.

    Well, at least that's what happened with me and the Muslim community, and with some UU communities I've been a part of.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said…

    I am sorry to hear that your UU church is no longer feeding you and that the environment feels toxic. Does it have anything to do with the anti-Christian intolerance that is manifested in some U*U churches or is it divorced from religious faith as it were? As you may be aware, I have made a point of pointing out that anti-Christian or more broadly anti-religious bad attitude makes some UU "Welcoming Congregations" anything but welcome to God believing people of all kinds including God believing GBLT people.

    Whatever the reasons for the toxic feelings at your UU church are, and I recognize that they may well have little or nothing to do with anti-Christian sentiment, it certainly seems to be fair to say that you do not feel particularly welcome at your UU congregation these days. I wish you well on your search for another religious community and regret that due to the small size of the "tiny fringe religion" known as UUism that you may not be able to find a more welcoming UU congregation in your area.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said…

    Of course, what with your "Christian tendencies" and all, regardless of the causes of the current toxic environment of your UU "church", it is probably easier and better all round to switch than fight, especially since the Quaker meeting house that Philip Gulley is the pastor of is just ten minutes away from your house. It is actually harder for God believing people who are not particularly Christian oriented to find a non-U*U "church".

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Comrade Kevin said…

    Welcome aboard!

    Ultimately it comes down to what satisfies you personally and best meets your needs.

    I reflect upon my days as a UU not looking back in anger or regret, but as a reflection of who I was then but am not know.

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Hello,
    I do not know if this will post but I will give it an attempt. I am a 11+ UU with Quaker tendencies or is it a Quaker with UU tendencies now? I have been searching for years now on how to help to bring peace into this world. I have even started Earlham School of Religion (Quaker in Richmond IN) to help me in my search. If there is anything that is more positive about Quakers than UU's is at least they have a format for processing discussion. Where as UU just all have to talk. No one listens I swear. I also like the emphasis on following the teaching of Jesus on Peace and Love. I miss that in UUism.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    I'm a member of Irvington Friends on the eastside of Indianapolis. Although, now residing in South Carolina, I still think of it as my spiritual home. Enjoy your spiritual journey wherever it may lead.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home