Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

To go to church or not to go to church, that is the question

I've been debating all evening whether to go to church tomorrow. And if I do go, where do I go? I'm really feeling a pull to go. I need me some spirituality right now. But the scheduled topic for the service at my UU church isn't warming my cockles (yawn).

I considered going to the local United Methodist church. I've gone there a couple of times, it is the most liberal church only 10 minutes away (which, granted, isn't saying much), and I know lots of people who go there. It wouldn't be awful.

Or I could drive way up to that UCC church I attended a couple of years ago. I really liked it there. If only it wasn't a 40 minute drive away to a place where I don't know anyone...

So maybe I'll go to my UU church. At least I know lots of people there. Our Christian Circle is meeting at 1:30 at someone's house just 10 minutes away from the church. I could take a lunch and eat in the church's Peace Garden.

We have decided we will *really* make an effort to go to church starting with this year's Water Ceremony. I need to be drawn back into the fold. I only wish it wasn't so hard to convince myself to go.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger juffie said…

    Your dilemma is a perfect example of why I have never liked blurbs about sermons in advance. Who says the sermon is the most important part of the service anyway? For me, it's the prayer. (And some know me as a preacher!) This blurb in advance stuff puts off more people than it attracts, I fear ... and is too much like the theatre for me! You have to be there for something to happen.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger ogre said…

    Peacebang will have conniptions. You should go, anyway.

    I know that it has been practice among a few ministers in the past (U, U or UU) to refuse to put up blurbs (even titles) in advance, for this very reason.

    Sometimes a sermon that I thought would "not be for me" has (and some I thought would be were... well, for someone else). I'd suggest trying to get out of the habit of choosing to go/not go because of the topic/title/description.

    I've managed it by not paying attention to the titles and blurbs. If I did, I think I'd be yawning at some of them (in advance) too.

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger PeaceBang said…

    Ogre knows me so well! ;-)

    One way to think about it is to remember that WE are the church. You might ask yourself, "Who might need to see me today? Where might God need to me to be this morning?"

    As Ogre reminds us, worship isn't a movie that you go to based on the title and review. We attend church to be the people of God.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home