Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Calling all UU Christians

Last night I had a long conversation with one of the members of our UU Christian Circle. We weren't able to meet this summer because of scheduling conflicts, but we are meeting again on Sunday, August 12. That meeting is going to be a discussion of "where are we now and where are we going".

In addition to being a member of our circle, she is also our DRE so she was at GA in June. She attended a couple of the UUCF discussions for (I think) the first time and discovered the concept of the Emergent Church. She noticed that much of the UUCF discussion was different from what we had been doing. I'm not sure exactly what she meant by that, but my guess was that we have been more of a study group (with the feel of a book discussion group, frankly) rather than a worship group. However, our group is growing in size and evolving spirituality so we are kind of all over the place. We need to discuss where each of us is coming from and what we want to get out of the group. We are also going to discuss more of the format of our gatherings. We want to come up with some kind of vision for the future of our group.

We are not seeking to strike out on our own and form our own church so it isn't like a "house church" in that sense (if I am understanding that correctly). We are more of a small group within our UU church. For the past year or so we have met once a month in each other's homes. There are 4 members, but at least two other people are interested in joining. Many of us want to learn how it is possible to be a UU and a Christian (or even just a liberal Christian period). Some may consider themselves Christians while others are just curious and want to learn more.

We have discussed the two aspects of being liberally religious (thinking vs. feeling). In our UU church (as perhaps in others) a tendency toward "thinking" predominates while it seems most of our members shy away from (or don't trust) feelings. We are very cerebral. I think within our Christianity Circle, we want to achieve more balance between thinking and feeling. It is my opinion that we need to bring in more worship elements to inspire feeling and to balance out the thinking aspect that makes it sometimes feel like a book club.

Anyway, I'm calling on other UU Christian's out there for some input. How does your group (or ones you know of) practice? Do you have small worship services? Rituals? Bible study or study of other religious books? Music? I am really interested to know how other people, particularly those affiliated with the UUCF, practice Christianity. Any and all comments are welcome.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Steven Rowe said…

    Im not the right person to answer this, as most of my practice is in solitude - which I've been told is wrong. Never-the-less, it seems to me that there are perfect formats for yall - the circle meetings (I note the Association of Universalist Women in the 1940s used the same format:)
    Invocation, song, words of wisdom, topic, prayer, song, benediction.

    hmm, same format as a church service, but not quite one.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Comrade Kevin said…

    I sense that this sort of movement is going to need to be tailor-made to suit every individual UU fellowship, congregation, or church.

    My advice is that you try on a wide variety of different traditions before settling on just one. There are a vast array of Christian models to pick and choose from.

    I've been doing my own study regarding this as well and as soon as I come up with a few due to my own study, I'll be sure to let you know.

    I hope all goes well.

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Jamie Goodwin said…

    I went ahead and wrote a response on my own blog.

    What Do UU Christians Do Anyways

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Jamie Goodwin said…

    By the way, my group is associated with the National UUCF, in fact the gentleman who leads the group is on the National UUCF Board.

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Ron said…

    Hi. I am glad to see the "emergent/organic" workshop at GA I faciliated has sparked some afterlife. One of the books I recommended there, Brian McLaren's The Secret Message of Jesus, has a wonderful appendix called "Plotting Goodness" which includes a structure and suggestions for small groups (two on up) of study, service, relationship-building. I have excerpted it at my blog a while back at http://progressivechurchplanting.blogspot.com/2006/05/conversationexperimentplottinggoodness.html.

    UUCFers in particular can also get good small group sharing tips at the UUCF-chapters email forum. Folks can subscribe to it through our website at www.uuchristian.org

    blessings,
    Ron

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Ron said…

    http://progressivechurchplanting.blogspot.com/2006/05/conversationexperimentplottinggoodness.html

    Or go to the May 16, 2006 posting on my blog if that link doesn't work. Thanks again. Great topic.
    Ron

     

Post a Comment

<< Home