Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Friday, August 03, 2007

This one time at band camp...


I know, I know, I have recently promised posts about our vacation, the new Harry Potter book, and the new TV show called Saving Grace. But we no sooner got home from our vacation than I found myself busy with another one of my commitments.

Among my many roles in life, I am a "band mom". I am the parent of a high school marching band member. This past week has been their annual band camp week. They have had practice at the high school every day from 8:00am until 4:00pm. This year I was the co-chair of the committee of parents assigned the task of feeding and entertaining the band members between practices and at lunchtime. Next year I take over as the head of the committee so this was my trial run to learn the ropes.

It has been so much fun. Teenagers have so much energy! Having been a high school and college marching band member myself, I found myself on familiar turf (so to speak). The band student council selected a theme for each day and we decorated the practice wing of the school to match each day's theme, we dressed in costumes, we played appropriate music, and tailored the menu to fit the theme. I think we adults had more fun than the kids! But each day left us more and more exhausted.

But now camp is over. This next week has several more band parent activities that will keep me busy, but I will update my blog whenever I get a chance.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home