Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Basil, dill, and Kurt Vonnegut

Today we took advantage of our last free Saturday for the next two months to drive down to Bloomington, Indiana, home of our alma mater, Indiana University. We stopped by the farmer's market which was absolutely hopping with vendors and customers and musicians and artists. What a great place to spend a hot Saturday morning in August. My favorite things about farmer's markets are the smell of basil, the smell of dill, and the burst of color from the bundles of flowers. I usually grow basil in my own garden, but didn't put any out this year and the smells from the farmer's market reminded me just how much I miss it.

Before we left, we stopped at Bloomingfoods, which is a grocery store that focuses on organic and natural produce and is just chock full of UU-types. Anyway, we don't have anything like it close to home so I love to visit when we're in town.

Then we took the two younger boys to campus. We parked and walked all over the place and went into various buildings. Being the geek that I am, the highlight of the trip for me was a trip into the stacks of the main library where I pulled a bound volume from 1992 off the shelf and found my own handwriting inside from back when I used to work there in technical services. That was very cool. If anyone visits the IU Library and looks inside of journals cataloged between 1990 and 1995, you may see my handwriting on the verso of the title page. See, doesn't that make you giddy with excitement?

Anyway, we also noticed that the Lilly Library (which houses rare books and archives) has a temporary exhibit about Kurt Vonnegut which includes some of his manuscripts, rejection letters and who knows what else. My husband has provided info and a link on his blog. If you are a Kurt Vonnegut fan, you might want to check it out.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:47 AM, Blogger Mystical Seeker said…

    Go Big Red!

    I love Bloomington, and I loved going to IU (I was a student there in the late seventies).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home