Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Saving Grace with Holly Hunter

Okay, back in July I mentioned in a blog post that there was a new show coming out with a spiritual angle and I was curious about it. It's called Saving Grace and it airs on TNT on Monday nights at 10pm (9 Central). I've been really busy and haven't had time to post about it until now. That's probably a good thing because I'll admit I've had to work my way into liking it.

I've checked out a couple of other online reviews about the show. Here's one at MovieWeb and another at SFGate.com. If you read these, you'll get an idea of what the show is about.

I have to say that my first reaction to the first episode was lukewarm. The very first scene of the first episode (and several of the later episodes) was a fairly graphic sex scene. Yes, it gets your attention right off the bat. I was a little thrown, however, and had to hit pause and shoo my kids out of the room. So now I am frustrated by the fact that I can only watch my recorded episodes when the kids aren't around - a rare occurrence and inconvenient truth in my household. To me it seemed like gratuitous sex for ratings' sake, but not being one who is turned away easily, I stayed with it. I have now watched 5 or 6 episodes and the show is growing on me.

I am generally not a fan of the late-evening one-hour drama. First of all, I prefer comedies in general. Secondly, by 10pm or so I get too tired to commit to an entire hour. Thankfully I have DVR, but then I have to find time to watch the recorded episode. I think because I am not used to watching shows like The Closer (which is the lead-in show for Grace and is cited by reviewers as a comparison), I was probably a harder sell than other fans may be. But I'm a sucker for anything spiritual so they already had a nibble on the line. They only needed to reel me in.

And they have. Grace is a very troubled soul. Dealing with the death of her sister in the Oklahoma City bombing and her resulting guilt (she feels responsible for the fact that her sister was in the building that day), she is acting out in all the wrong ways - covering her pain in alcohol, distancing herself from real relationships while sleeping with a different man (including her married partner) most nights, lying, etc. Her "last chance" angel, Earl, is there to help her turn her life around. He has his work cut out for him because she just isn't buying it. She is a skeptic, to say the least. But Earl isn't giving up on her. And the more I watch, the less I want to give up on her. She's a likeable character and you find yourself wanting her to change - not for God (which is what she thinks) but for herself. If she can only finally see "the light" and turn her life around, I think the character would find real peace.

Of course that won't happen anytime soon because without her troubled existence there wouldn't be a show. But I really hope that the writers lead us there gradually. We won't be seeing any "road to Damascus" changes of heart overnight. But maybe Grace will find faith after all.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger Jay said…

    I just posted about Saving Grace, too! It sounds like I may like the show a tad bit more than you do.... Anyway, I hope that Grace's drinking and sex are not simply her way of "acting out" in guilt over her sister's death. That just seems too easy, like a pat TV resolution. Perhaps she simply doesn't think these things are immoral, and—for that matter—it's not entirely clear that Earl would disagree (although he does clearly disapprove of adultery).

    By the way, I love your blog.

     
  • At 2:31 AM, Blogger khushi said…

    Saving Grace itself has a pretty solid recognizable cast. Besides Hunter and Rippy, there's also Kenneth Johnson (The Shield), Bailey Chase (Las Vegas), Bookem Woodbine (The Big Hit), and Laura San Giacomo (Just Shoot Me!). With such a great supporting cast I'm not sure if it's impressive that Hunter shines so brightly above them, or if it's disappointing that they aren't given more to do.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I do not like this type of seires I like to watch cartoon series. I have seen Full Power Rangers Episodes Online. My friends and me are the big fan of this television cartoon series.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its wonderful series. I found it the best show. I love to Watch TV Shows Online. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home