Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Forgetting your password

Ah, a word of advice. Don't take a very long break from blogging...you may forget your password. I have been busy during the fall semester (what with working, shuttling kids back and forth from marching band practices and performances, scout meetings and events, church events, and now wrestling practices). Plus our entire family of 5 people is now down to 1 computer. Needless to say, computer time is at a premium around here and there is a lot of competition. I didn't have time to blog. Unfortunately, when I sat down yesterday and decided to resume blogging, I realized I couldn't remember my password (or username either for that matter). But after 24 hours or so, it has come back to me. Whew!

Anyway, the main reason for me wanting to revitalize this blog, is our brand spankin' new UU Christian Circle. Three of us from church (plus one expatriate) have formed a group that we are calling our "UU Christian Circle". We meet once a month in one of our homes for fellowship and discussion of Christianity. We each have found something in Christianity that means something to us beyond what we find in the UU church and (undoubtedly) what one would find in a mainstream Christian church.

This month we discussed faith. We had some readings about faith and then we each talked about what faith means to us. It was a wonderful and enlightening discussion which included ideas such as the difference between Faith (as a noun) and faith (as a verb). We discussed how we can live faith in our daily lives. A couple of us have been going through some very difficult times lately and we discussed how faith has played a part in that process of coping and healing.

I realize I'm just skimming over the surface and leaving out the meat of the issue, but this all happened a while ago and isn't as fresh in my mind as it was at the time. Plus, our faith discussion was very much interwoven with personal stories of recent divorce and lost jobs, neither of which am I comfortable disclosing publicly.

The final thing we seemed to come away with is that we have to have faith that all will be okay. We have to be able to step out of that spaceship into the unknown (as in the Major Tom song mentioned by one of our members) or to "step out of our comfort zone, into the realm of the unknown, where Jesus is...and he's holding out his hand" (as in Casting Crown's song The Voice of Truth). That faith helps us face what might otherwise be considered impossible.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home