Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Monday, January 15, 2007

A Flannel Jammies Kind of Day

It's gray and rainy (again) here in Indiana. Still no snow, but they say we may get some this week. I can't believe I'm actually wishing for snow. Last night I lay in my bed looking out the dome window facing our big maple tree, and I could see little buds starting to open. They are so confused by the warm weather we've had. I don't know enough about tree biology to know if this early blooming will kill them or even effect how/if they bloom this summer. I've talked to people whose bulbs (daffodils, etc.) are starting to poke out of the earth prematurely. One more thing to worry about.

We are all home today due to the holiday. We slept in and after filling my mug with coffee and getting the kids breakfast, I hit the internet to catch up on the blog world. Here I sit an hour later with my second mug of coffee, still in my flannel jammies. It's nice just to be able to hang out. The whole day came very close to being thwarted, though. Saturday afternoon Big J tells me his sister is driving up with her kids to go to the Children's Museum because the museum is offering free admission on MLK day. He'd told her he'd ask me if we could go too. Now, I have to say, this put me in a very precarious position. Immediately I felt my temperature and pulse rise because I didn't want to go. I'd been looking forward to having a day off to do nothing but watch trashy TV shows and work on my scrapbooking. But now I was put into the position of being the bad guy by saying no. I either said yes and lost my free day or said no and became Family Bad Guy for the foreseeable future. This is not the first time this is happened and it really makes me mad every time it does. I am asked my opinion (as if it really matters anyway) and then placed between a rock and a hard place. I did not say a definite no, but I did grumble and make sure the idea got across that I didn't appreciate the whole thing. Big J, finally after all these years, seemed to get a clue and said we'd skip it today. Now, I don't dislike the Children's Museum. And on a different day I would gladly go. But this is my *one* day off to do scrapbooking...which I've been trying to get to for weeks. Plus, and I know this sounds mean, I don't really want to spend my one day off with my SIL and her kids. I want some down time. Is that so much to ask? Jeez. Whew...

Anyway, so here I am finishing up my blogwork before I haul out the scrapbooking stuff. I got some new supplies for Christmas and I haven't had time to do anything with them yet. Plus I think I'm going to start retro-scrapping (i.e. going back over the first 16 years of our marriage - or even before that - and scrapping pictures from then) to get up to date. Ooo - where to start...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    A belated comment on your August 7 06 post from a first time visitor to your blog. I quote you: "I agree that the number one guiding principle in my own life (like in the 7 UU principles) is to respect the inherent worth and dignity in every person. I don't see that in other faiths. And so I am UU." Got news for you. I'm an Episcopalian. One of the promises in our Baptismal covenant is an affirmative answer to the question, "Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?" Check it out, p. 305 Book of Common Prayer (pages are same in every edition). I belonged to a UU congregation back in the day. I became an Episcopalian for many reasons, one of which was the fact that the local Episcopal church did a lot more hands on ministry with the least and the lost than the UU church did. Also, I learned to love Jesus, and Jesus' name wasn't mentioned much in my church

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger Amy Wasp said…

    I don't understand why you had to go the museum? Why couldn't J and the boys go with sister without you? I would have said, "Sure, have a great time! Buh-bye!"

    Try it, chica. Say "Buh-bye! Have fun!'

     

Post a Comment

<< Home