Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Permanent solution to a temporary problem

Last night around 8:30 our phone rang and the sobbing voice was almost unintelligible. It was Little J's girlfriend. A classmate of theirs had just committed suicide. Within minutes, Little J and I jumped in the van and as we left the neighborhood we stopped by and picked up Little J's best friend. I drove them the half a mile to the church the boy had attended. There was already a huge group congregated in the sanctuary - most of them teenagers and youth leaders.

Apparently the boy had come home from school yesterday and had an argument with his mom. Angry words were said and he went into the bathroom and hanged himself. The kids are shocked and devestated. He was a well-liked and friendly kid.

I remember him from elementary school. He was often in Little J's classes.

Of course, I immediately think of the parents. The thought of losing a child, especially under these circumstances, is mind boggling. I've been praying for the family and all the friends who are now walking around dazed and trying to cope. Such a terrible loss.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Lizard Eater said…

    Oh, this is so sad. Those parents will hurt for the rest of their lives. They can go on, but it will always hurt.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger mathmom said…

    omg, this is so tragic. I hope there is support for the kids at school, and a support group appropriate for the parents as well. They will need it. I don't think you ever recover from losing a child. Hugs to little-J.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home