Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Picking a president

I always like to start early learning about the candidates in a presidential election. I really do my homework. So I've been looking around. It's still a little early, but I don't want to wait for all the glitz and showbiz once the campaign kicks into high gear.

There are some familiar names and some new names popping up for the 2008 election. So far I could find a little bit about Republicans Mitt Romney and John McCain. Now, of course, John McCain is a familiar name, but I don't know this Romney guy. On the Democrat side of things we have Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama and John Edwards (to name a few). All of these names are familiar to me.

According to a local news story, a Washington Post-ABC News poll released on Sunday (1/21/07) shows Hilary with 41 percent of the Democrat vote which is more than double any of her other Democrat candidates. That's interesting. But as popular as she is with Democrats, I think it is the middle-of-the-roaders that actually have the deciding power. So who knows how that will go. Although I myself am all for it, I wonder if this country is ready yet to elect a woman president.

I don't dislike Hilary and I really liked her husband. I'm not sure I'd vote for her because her softness on the Iraq war makes me hesitate. She seems to be almost a little too "moderate" for my progressive tastes. But it also depends on her competition.

Like I said, I really need to read up on everybody and sort through their positions on things. I'm sure I'll have more to say with the more I learn.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Jess said…

    My problem with Hillary has nothing to do with her policies - she's just too polarizing. There are more people that hate her with every breath than there are people who love her, more people who will come out to the polls to vote against her than to vote for her. I think she's unelectable.

    Who I really like is Bill Richardson from New Mexico, and Barack, but as a VP. I'd like to see the Democrats put up a candidate with some real governing experience, which Senators don't really get.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Yogamum said…

    I just can't get excited about Hillary. I don't think she can beat someone like McCain, for example. I have this really sinking feeling that if she gets nominated, the Dems are going to lose. And I REALLY don't want that!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Mama G said…

    Yeah, I'm kind of hung up on the electability thing too. That's the main reason I usually vote Democrat. There are times that a separate 3rd party candidate might be closer to what I like, but I know they don't have a chance at getting elected in this country.

    I really want to learn more about this Bill Richardson guy.

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger HeadCase said…

    According to Jon Stewart, Richardson is Batman. ;-)

    I'd love to see a Gore/Feingold ticket. We already know Gore can win, SCOTUS notwithstanding.

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Cee Jay said…

    Richardson is the best person for the job. He has experience and humility (wouldn't that be a nice trait in a president for a change?).
    I agree with Jess, Obama would be a good VP and he is young enough to get elected as Pres. after Richardson's eight years are over and after he has had more experience.
    I like Gore too, but I think he got burnt too bad in 2000 to go through another campaign.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home