Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

My spiritual cold shower

I feel that I've been remiss in my duties as a UU Blogger. I haven't had much to say lately that one could consider spiritual. (I know that some UU's consider things like hiking in the woods and getting back to nature "spiritual", but that hasn't been my own experience...yet anyway.)

I have to admit there is a reason for this. About a month ago we received the movie Jesus Camp as part of our Blockbuster Total Access membership. It had a deep and profound effect on me in a way that I don't think was at all positive. It kind of served as a cold shower to cool the flames of my newfound passion for Christianity.

I was disturbed by the way the beautiful message of love that Jesus taught has been twisted so severely into a hateful "us vs. them" mentality. I was also really upset by the way they are indoctrinating the young who are still in their formative stage with a message so based on intolerance. I really have trouble understanding how they can believe that Jesus, were he here today, would advocate this movement. I look at the woman who leads this "Jesus Camp" and shake my head at some of the things she says. But then I see the young children being so emotionally stirred while those emotions are tied very closely with their philosophy. It is no wonder that some people grow up to be like the camp leader when they are taught these things and make an emotional investment at such a young and impressionable age. It literally made my chest ache to watch the young girl who so desperately wanted to convert people because she'd been told it was the right way to be and couldn't seem to understand the reaction of the people on the street who resisted her. Yikes.

That movie jarred me. I noticed that after watching that movie, there were subtle differences in my life. For a long time now I've listened to contemporary Christian radio in the van when I'm running errands. Most of the music really moves me. I'm not terribly connected to the ones that focus on life after death, but the ones that celebrate God's presence in life speak to me. But the talk between the songs really puts me off. I've noticed when they do their "news", they always give three stories. The first two are what I would consider real news items about something going on in the world. The third is always Christian in nature and has a tone of "look how good we are" to them. Lots of reports of missionaries in other countries "spreading The Word" and bringing people to Christ. Or it's about some Christian group overcoming political obstacles like abortion laws, etc. It is so obviously propaganda that it always bothered me. Now I cannot even listen to the station. It feels like part of the Jesus Camp machine. I've gone back to listening to Radio Disney.

I think what upsets me about this movie the most is the fear that the average Joe American may watch this and think that the people in this movie represent what it means to be a Christian. While there are many people who fall into this category, I am finding more and more people who consider themselves Christian but are appalled at this kind of behavior. Jesus came to tell us that the very most important thing is to love God with all your heart and to love your neighbor as yourself. If you let that be the guiding principle of your life, how can you belong to a group that says the majority of humans on earth are doomed for eternity? How can you believe in a God who would do that to his creation? I just can't get my mind around it.

Anyway, I was so bothered by this that I had to take a figurative step back for a little while to take a breather.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Lilylou said…

    I sure understand, MamaG,
    Jesus Camp really upset me too. I was appalled by the behavior of the leaders and what they were doing to the kids. It seemed abusive to me.

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger Lizard Eater said…

    You might be interested in the "Red Letter Christians" movement going on, if you haven't encountered it already. :)

    I wish there were another term for "Jesus Camp" type Christians. I don't want to call them Christians at all. I feel like they have take ownership of the name. Why is it that liberal Christians get the "huh???" look when self-identifying?

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Lilylou said…

    At the Interweave colloquy yesterday (reported on Ms. Kitty's), a Christian pastor used George Lakoff's categories of "strict father" vs. "nurturing parent" to describe the two Christianities. And he was blunt---there are two separate Christianities and they have very little in common. I think "Jesusians" is a more apt term for "nurturing parent" type Christians.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I'm in favor of using Jesusians. I'm very into Jesus, but I grew up among people who were very much like the people who went to Jesus Camp (and who led Jesus Camp), so it's hard for me to use the word Christian because of the baggage.

    Much of what went on in Jesus Camp seemed a. abusive and b. like brainwashing to me.

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger PeaceBang said…

    How do you pronounce "Jesusians?" I've used "Jesusite" jokingly for a long time, and "Jesus Person" not jokingly for just as long. I often say that I follow the Jesus Way (and that I spend most of the time getting lost!)

    Thanks for a great post, Mom To the Left.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Steven Rowe said…

    i didnt see that film (but then I see very few films) -- but there have always been those who dont seem to have read the same Bible that I have.
    They've been around a long time, they will continue to be around for along time. Would it be wrong to call them the Christian Pharasies?
    Don't let their heresy (grin) throw you off your track.
    I used to listen to Christian radio (along with Radio Baha'i), and with my hearing impairment I didnt have to worry about the words... but it was hard to follow all, because what I did hear, wasnt me. On a recent trip, I took the current UUA hymnal with me (i had intended to put all this on my blog), and sang to my spouse every hymn I knew there-in. I was surprised to see how many Charles Wesley songs made it (thus UU old English folkrockers fans may want to get Maddy Prior's new Charles Wesley CD).
    with todays modern technoolgy - you would think - someoe could sing up a cd-r of UU Christian songs. (From the public domain so the singer doesnt have to pay publishing fees).
    Here's a song from a 1895 Universalist hmynal - to the music of rock of ages - text by Horatius Bonar. first verse:
    "Every Morning mercies new
    Fall as fresh as Morning dew.
    Every Morning let us pay,
    Tribute with the early day;
    for they mercies, lord, are sure,
    Thy compassion doth endure."
    easily changed to modern english - somebody needs to go rock these up!

    Steven R - owner of too many old hymnals

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Mystical Seeker said…

    I couldn't bring myself to watch "Jesus Camp". I knew it would be upsetting.

    I think Ms. Kitty hit the nail on the head. There are two different Christianities out there. They aren't the same religion. Might as well accept that. Unfortunately, in the minds of perhaps most Americans, it isn't the Good Christians who they associate with the word "Christian"--it's the bad ones.

    What can anyone do about it? Unfortunately, it's a fact of life. Progressive followers of Jesus have to reclaim what it means to be a follower of Jesus. It's a huge challenge, but I think it is a necessary one.

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger Robin Edgar said…

    Unfortunately, in the minds of perhaps most Americans, it isn't the Good U*Us who they associate with the word "Unitarian"--it's the bad ones. . . ;-)

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger lauraj said…

    Hi MTTL, Just found you via PeaceBang. Ooooh, I wish I could introduce you to my bestest friend who lives in Indy and is another way-cool Jesus-loving mom. Don't let the not-way-cool ones get you down. Don't give them that much power! Hang in there.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Steve Caldwell said…

    I read a comment responding to a post on Greta Christina's blog that may be relevant here. It concerns the damage that "Jesus Camp" Christians do to liberal Christianity:

    "If God and Satan are in fact real, and they are in fact enemies, I could think of no better strategy for Satan to implement than to popularize neo-con pseudo-religionists to bring discredit to the true believers, those who walk in compassion, kindness and love."

    When people associate all Christianity and all Christians with Ted Haggard, President Bush, Fred Phelps, abortion clinic bombings, etc, this perceived connection certainly doesn't help liberal Christianity.

    If I believed in God and Satan, the theory proposed on Greta's blog would certainly explain why "Jesus Camp" conservative Christianity exists.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Gannet Girl said…

    Found you via PeaceBang, too. Then I went back to read what I had written about this movie right after seeing it. (You can search my blog for "Jesus Camp" and come up with the two entries.) I remember how disturbed I was; I had forgotten what the movie had said to me about how to take children seriously.

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger RGVprof said…

    I appreciated your comments on Jesus Camp. I, too, have been concerned that people may think that those type of Christians predominate. I think most people know that they are certainly not mainstream, but the filmmakers are clear that they are evangelical Protestants. But even that is misleading - they are just a subset of evangelicals that are Pentecostal and fundamentalist. It is troubling, and fortunately they are a minority.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Janety2k said…

    Never heard of Jesus Camp. Sounds like the woman who runs it never picked up her Bible. Still, your comments give me pause. As a "fundamental" Christian (Church of Christ, but not the liberal United Church of Christ) I am frequently at odds with other members of my church as I too am a left wing liberal. (Oh, yea, I was a UU for years, even serving on the Board.) The back of my car is adorned with one of the Christian fish right along side my bumper sticker that has a parody of W with the works "World Menace" on one side and "Natiional Shame" on the other.

    So anyway that is all to say I'm liberal, but "born again." The Christians I come in contact with at my church and my college (I'm back in school changing from my career in engineering to psychology) are well informed, loving people who go out of their way to help the down and out." Do they prosteltize (sp?)? Sure, sometimes, when it's appropriate. But, they all know the real way to lead people to Jesus is to show love and concern to them, not bashing them over the head with the Bible.

    Yes, there are unfortunately some hateful, loud mouth so-called Christians out there. And, they get the press, not the people working with the needy. I don't know how to show you these people as they work quietly in the soup kitchens, back alleys, and homeless shelters. All I can do is to tell you that the ones the press focuses on are the minority, the very small minority.

    Have a great weekend! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home