Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Where to camp and hike?

Ms. Kitty pointed out that I didn't mention where exactly we went on our trip. At first I kept it general because I didn't want any weirdos tracking us down. ;-) But then these parks are big and I don't post until we're home anyway so what does it hurt, huh?

Last weekend we went to McCormick's Creek State Park in southwestern Indiana. We've gone to this particular park for years, and I have to admit we are partial to it. We've been so much that we know all the trails and where they lead. We know which trails we prefer and even which campsites we prefer. However, it occurs to us that maybe we need to branch out a little bit and try some new places. We have purchased an annual entrance pass for all of the state parks so we thought we'd travel around and try out some other spots this summer.

A few weeks ago we drove up to northern Indiana to Prophetstown State Park and nearby Battle Ground, Indiana (site of the Battle of Tippecanoe). Prophetstown State Park has a campground with 110 sites and I'm trying to talk the rest of the family into trying it out. But the day we were there it was really windy and that land up there is flat as a pancake. We're used to southern Indiana where there are lots of rolling hills. But way back in the ice age the glaciers came about as far as Indianapolis and then stopped. So northern Indiana got flattened like a cotton shirt with an iron. (That was just a little bit of geographical info for you non-Hoosiers out there.) Anyway, I think it is cool to see flat land with prairie grass. It's VERY different from what we're used to. The campground there is new, there are only small saplings (if there are any trees at all) and it just feels like it is one big field. Big J and Little J weren't impressed.

Today we went out for a hike. We headed up to Shades State Park in western Indiana. We went there because Little J went there a couple of years ago with his Boy Scout troop and remembered one particular trail that he just loved. We discovered it today. Big J and Little J loved it. I, however, did not. I wouldn't be opposed to going camping there, but I didn't care for the trails. If we do camp there, I will probably stay back at the campsite and read or something. There are lots of very steep ravines where wooden stairs have been built. It is a lot of up and down some very long flights of stairs. And the foliage is so dense that there were very few wildflowers which is my main reason for hiking. All of that glute exercise and no wildflower sitings to show for it.

We did get some nice pictures though. I will post some tomorrow after church.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Lilylou said…

    Thanks for going into a little more detail, MamaG. Having lived all my life west of the Mississippi, I have no experience of midwest camping and I was interested. It sounds lovely and I like prairie too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home