Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Back to School Frenzy

It's that time of year again - a return to bedtimes, new clothes and shoes, and stocking up on paper, pencils and crayons at Walmart. As much as I hate to see our "down" time come to a close, I am happy to return to a routine and some sense of normalcy.

The boys are back at school now. J is in 8th grade this year and E is in 3rd. Sometimes we'll be busy doing something and I'll just stop and look at them and it is like I am hit on the head with how big they are getting. J is almost as tall as me now and will be driving in a little over two years. His voice is starting to change and he works out all the time so he is muscular. And he grew 3 inches over the summer so he is now average height for an 8th grader. And the girls are noticing, he says. Heaven help me.

I called the babysitter and confirmed that she's still available to watch D this year when I'm called to sub. He is really looking forward to going back and seeing his friends. Yesterday when we were out running errands I bought him a new pair of shoes (Buzz Lightyear with lights that light up - VERY cool among the 3yo set) and a little backpack shaped like a turtle. It is so cute. He's planning on taking it with him to the babysitter's house.

I have officially filed for my renewal teaching license. It will probably take a few weeks, but I hope it gets here before any maternity leaves open up this year. A little birdy told me that there are some pregnant teachers out there this year so I'll be hovering in the background waiting for the principals to call my number. And until then, I'm looking forward to subbing again.

Today was opening day for both youth soccer and youth football. This is J's last year to play soccer since he'll be in high school next year. He did well. He's a bit of a showboat complete with dance moves and acrobatic feats whenever his team does well. His team won and he scored one of his team's 3 goals. I wish he could play in high school. I know he's good enough to make the team. But soccer conflicts with marching band which is a higher priority in his book. And mine too to be honest. But still...

E is playing football this year for the first (and probably last) time. He is about the smallest on his team and his arms and legs just look like toothpicks. He's so small. But he's bound and determined to keep up with the other kids. He did well today. It's so hard to watch him because he is not a natural athlete when it comes to football. Tae Kwon Do and even wrestling are more his speed. But he wants the challenge that football poses to him and I respect that. I just pray he doesn't get hurt physically or emotionally.

So life is busy. But I am truly blessed. I thank God that I have so many things to keep me running around. And I only have one request...

Dear God, please give us a break on the heat and humidity and I promise I'll get my van's AC fixed by next summer. ;-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home