Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Camping at Pokagon State Park

Last week we went camping in Pokagon State Park in the northeastern corner of Indiana. We had never been there before so it was an adventure for us. It turned out to be well worth the long drive to get there.

We hiked through marsh (seen here) and I identified flowers I'd never seen before in person. For example, notice the water lily:

We also went to their beach. Although the weather and the water were a little cold that day, you can see that my kids had fun. Here's my 6yo playing in the sand:

But of course, the best part is always the camping. We'd reserved our campsite online using only a basic map so we weren't sure what we were in for. Generally, we had a good site. It was the middle of the week so the campground wasn't terribly busy and the people who were there tended to be families with kids like us. We were within close walking distance of the facilities that included flush toilets and showers (a new luxury in our family's camping experience). We were also close to the camp playground so that the boys could go play on the playground while we fixed dinner. They were far enough to be out of our hair, but close enough that we could still see them and wave them over when dinner was ready. Each day was rounded out by the obligatory campfire and smores. Here's my 12yo playing guitar one evening at the fire ring:

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    A Marcus Borg fan! He's amazing. Have you read any of Bishop Spong's stuff? Or Rob Bell? Or Shane Claiborn? Not as great as Borg-- I think he is one of THE theologians of our time, but still, some good works. Like the blog, and I know, as a fellow midwesterner, what its like living a little to the left of almost everyone around you!

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Mama G said…

    Thanks! I have to say I haven't been keeping up this blog nearly as much as my gardening blog this summer. Once gardening season is over, I will probably post here more often and hopefully I'll have something useful to say!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home