Mom to the Left

I'm a mom who tends to live just to the "left" of most of the people around me here in Indiana.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Holy Silence

As you can see in my reading list (scroll down on the right hand side) I am in the middle of reading a book called Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality by J. Brent Bill. I have to admit that the practice of silent worship is one of the things that draws me toward Quakerism. Before we'd even started attending a Quaker meeting, I was very interested in the idea of contemplative prayer. The idea of Christian meditation and even Christian mysticism is interesting to me.

The Quaker (or Friendly) idea of sitting in silence is a method of intentionally listening for the voice of God. In honoring the Inner Light that we all have, if we are silent and still, we can await the word of God.

In this hectic world of rushing around and noise everywhere, I think a lot of us yearn for the silence. It can bring us a sense of peace that we'll miss if we don't take the time to sit in silence.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home